Saturday, May 28, 2011

Converted: The Office



   For a long time I have had a vocal hatred for The Office, I never understood why so many people watched the show and thought so highly of it. I have tried many times to watch The Office and every time I sat down to watch an episode I find myself consistently annoyed and uncomfortable with the way the characters on the show acted. I thought Michael Scott was the embodiment of everything I hate in people; he was ignorant, disrespectful and incredibly annoying. Dwight was such an outlandish caricature and a borderline sociopath I could not believe he could ever function in society let alone handle a job where he is required to interact with other human beings. So even though I had tried several times to try and break into the show I found it impenetrable.

   Recently friends of mine started watching it and came away with very positive feelings, I stood in disbelief, and I could not understand what they found so enjoyable about it. Against my better judgment I tried once again to get into the show. I must have stopped watching the first season like 20 times and its only 6 episodes long. I found myself frustrated that I couldn’t for the life of me figure out what everyone enjoyed so much about the show. I laughed occasionally but I cringed every time Michael Scott would open his mouth, and sure enough some insanely insensitive remark or racial slur would spill out and I would get fed up and turn it off but finally I got to the first episode of the second season and like seeing an image of Jesus in my grilled cheese I was converted. 

The episode started off like any other with Michael up to his usual shtick, preparing for some idiotic award ceremony he invented to boost morale, like usual I couldn’t stand Michael as he continuously acted selfish and annoying. It wasn’t until the office went to Chili’s for the awards and things started to go south that I became interested. Michael was humiliated by his employees and the patrons of the restaurant and it was there that I finally felt bad for him and once Pam tried to raise his spirits by getting everyone to applaud and cheer I was hooked, it was touching and I found myself caring about these people. I still find Michael’s behavior distasteful but he see him almost like a child, I excuse the things he does because I know I really does have good intentions and really only wants everyone to like him.

   As I am writing this I am deep into the 4th season and I have no intention of stopping, these characters have grown on me and I have learned to love them all for very different reasons. Dwight is completely insane but is sweet and loyal, Kevin is inappropriately hilarious, Jim is a romantic to a fault, and Angela is bitch (I got nothing). Everyone is great on the show and the cast is so strong they are able to swap characters in and out Ryan becomes a deuce when he moves up to corporate and, Andy who is even more unstable then Dwight (which is impressive) is integrated with the offices when they merge branches.


The Office is a fantastic show and it’s entirely because of its cast, everyone is needed and no can be removed or replaced. They meld together so well and their growth as the series continues is the most compelling part each with their own hopes and dream I continue watching hoping to see Michael find someone to be with so he won’t be alone, to see Jim and Pam married and happily together, Dwight and Angela to acknowledge and relish in their relationship and for … the assholes to get what’s coming to them (Ryan, Andy, Jan, David). I am happy I gave the show a chance (many chances) because I really did end up loving this show with its endearing characters and its strong comedy. 

1 comment:

  1. Yaaay, that's great. The show has an interesting way to make you like the characters. Im glad you gave it a liiittle bit more of a look beyond the first season. Same thing happened to me.

    ReplyDelete